Tire Pressures - Page 2 - Dorkiphus.net
Navigation » Dorkiphus.net > Technical & Track Disussions > Track Talk » Tire Pressures

Track Talk A place to talk about Track and DE Events, share driving tips and other Track related items.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:15 PM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Although certainly true, this is valid only if you are trying to determine camber/toe settings' effect on the tires. How would a pyro help determine optimum tire pressures (not heat distribution across the thread)?
I would believe that if highest in the center of the tread, pressures may be too high. If too low, the center should be lower than the inner/outer edges. However, suspension settings will muddy the water, too. Toe-in would heat up the outer edges; Toe-out should heat up the inner edges. Camber should cause a change across the surface. Too much negative camber and I would expect the inner edge to be highest and gradually decreasing to the outer edge. Whereas too much positive camber would do the opposite.

If everything is set perfectly, see Stephen's post below.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)

Last edited by HoodPin; 10-22-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:22 PM

Landjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seltzer View Post
Larry,l

You gonna make it on the track?
I'm coming out Saturday, we'll see what happens.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:26 PM

smdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threadssmdubovsky has three HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodPin View Post
If everything is set perfectly, the tread temp should be even across the entire surface.
Thats not true (except on the skidpad.) The slope should be even however. Due to camber and the existence of braking at the ends of straightaways, the inside will (and should) always be hotter. If tire temps are even all the way across you're giving away grip in the corners.
1983 911SC - 3.32L IROC
1984 930
2008 S2R1000, dirt bikes (some gas, some electric), Sherco trials bike
Sold: 2001 Boxster (hers), 2003 996tt x50 , SpecE30, 1996 E36M3 GTS2 racecar, 2015 Mustang GT
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM

HoodPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
Thats not true (except on the skidpad.) The slope should be even however. Due to camber and the existence of braking at the ends of straightaways, the inside will (and should) always be hotter. If tire temps are even all the way across you're giving away grip in the corners.
Amended my post.
I haven't done much of this myself, only read about it (mostly long ago...). But your explanation makes sense.

Currently
- 1984 944 SP2 racer
- 1977 911 KM Special vintage racer
- 2012 Cayman R (also the wife's)
- 2000 Boxster S (now mine)

- 1995 993 (garage queen)
- 2007 Cayman S (wife's track beast)
- 2017 F350 (tow monster)
- 2018 Jeep Wrangler

Gone but not forgotten
- 1989 944S2
- 1979 RX7
- 1986 944
- 1991 944S2 (in car heaven...)
- 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 (FIL's beast now)
Old 10-22-2012, 04:40 PM

vranko has one HoF thread

I've been running R888s on my 2007 Cayman S. I try to keep them below 36 hot and usually start them at 24-26. Anything over 36 and they get very greasy. I try to target 36 when autocrossing.

2024 BMW G87 ///M2 (Next 444)
2021 Toyota Supra GR (The Bupra, Other 444)
2016 BMW M235
2015 Porsche Cayenne Diesel
2007 Cayman S, #444
2013 Golf R
2012 BWM x5
2017 Mazda MX-5 Club
3 time DE Parade Lap Champion
#BestInstructorEver - Unknown
Old 10-22-2012, 06:07 PM

CanAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicegrip View Post
Pressures and temps are linked..
I'm wondering if the tires will still lose a lot of grip due to overheating, even if I lower the cold pressures enough that the hot pressures are near optimum. I see the pressure as mainly controlling the tire shape, whereas the temp should mainly affect the rubber properties. I guess both pressure and temp should affect how the tire responds to load (?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by smdubovsky View Post
To further complicate things, seems that the tire temp patterns would also be affected by the mix of straights, left turns, and right turns, with trade-offs among them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vranko View Post
I've been running R888s on my 2007 Cayman S. I try to keep them below 36 hot and usually start them at 24-26. Anything over 36 and they get very greasy. I try to target 36 when autocrossing.
Though you're running an R-comp vs my street tire, good to see at least partial confirmation of the ~36 number. This past weekend, I kept dropping the cold pressures and finally got down to 26, which is the lowest I've gone so far. And when the pressures got close to 40, the grip seemed to drop so much that it felt like a different car.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Colorado's finest

Dr K has two HoF threadsDr K has two HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
I would have tried it this past weekend (good event with PCA Reisentoter - nice people), but the wife and I were sharing the car with her sessions coming right after mine. She cools the tires down nicely.
Actually, that's perfect. Have her meet you in the hot pits (with her instructor) to swap the car, and while they're belting themselves in, you go around and check the temps. Look at the numbers as she drives away...

2016 Cayman S
1999 Miata ("SM") race car
2016 Toyota Highlander--tow vehicle/wife's DD
2017 VW GTI SE (DD)

Gone and missed:
1992 Miata ("SSM") race car
2009 911 C2S Coupe
2004 Toyota Prius - sold to son's girlfriend
2006 Dodge Durango
2003 Acura MDX
86 Black 911 Coupe race car
86 Gold 911 Targa
82 WineRedMetallic 911 Targa
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Porkchop & SGB for prez!

Vicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threadsVicegrip has seven HoF threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
I'm wondering if the tires will still lose a lot of grip due to overheating, even if I lower the cold pressures enough that the hot pressures are near optimum. I see the pressure as mainly controlling the tire shape, whereas the temp should mainly affect the rubber properties. I guess both pressure and temp should affect how the tire responds to load (?).

To further complicate things, seems that the tire temp patterns would also be affected by the mix of straights, left turns, and right turns, with trade-offs among them?

Though you're running an R-comp vs my street tire, good to see at least partial confirmation of the ~36 number. This past weekend, I kept dropping the cold pressures and finally got down to 26, which is the lowest I've gone so far. And when the pressures got close to 40, the grip seemed to drop so much that it felt like a different car.
I only see one "cold" pressure a day on my track car and that is before I go on track in the a.m. Once I have go on track I ajust hot pressures only. there are no more cold pressures for the day. In fact if one side of the car was getting full a.m. sun the pressures will me off and I only check to see if there was a leak. I expect the sunny side tires to have a higher reading but as I don'r know the thermal gain I don't ajust and skip to the end of the run.

Come in after a session, test the pressures (and temps if ajusting more than pressures) and ajust them to the target hot pressure if needed.

Don't overthink this.

“Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” Voltaire.

"There is grandeur in this view of life...." Darwin.

The mountains are calling and I must go.

“The earth has music for those who listen”
Shakespeare.

You Matter.
(Until you multiply yourself times the speed of light squared. Then you Energy)

“We’ve got lots of theories, we just don’t have the evidence’.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:24 PM

CanAm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr K View Post
Actually, that's perfect. Have her meet you in the hot pits (with her instructor) to swap the car, and while they're belting themselves in, you go around and check the temps. Look at the numbers as she drives away...
You're right, I didn't think of it that way. Switching in the hot pit is a perfect opportunity to get the temps, and then she can go out and cool the car down. Not sure what the sequence of run groups will be this weekend, but will do this if it works out. Now I'm really curious to see what the temps are.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:28 PM

Baywatch

X2 Vranko's temps are what I try to come off the track with hot. 36 seems optimal for my 888s as well. I Usually start the day at 25 - 28 and play with the pressure as the day progresses. Once they are consistently running 36 hot, simply checking them and adding air as necessary seems to do the trick. At Autocross I run the 888s with 33 in front and 36 rear granting a bit more grip at the event. No chance for them to heat up at autocross so starting at the correct pressure is the key.

Porsche Fan
Skidpad Fanatical

www.RoadPotomac.com

23 Ford Ranger Tremor
16 981 GT4
14 991 C2 (Gone)
10 Cayenne GTS (Gone)
02 996 Cabriolet (Gone)
79 928 Driveway Queen (Gone)
04 Ford Expedition (Gone)
07 Ford Expedition EL (Gone)